Three further consecutive away games took us out of November
and into December and yielded seven points:
1-0 victories over Fulham (Arshavin) and QPR (Ayala) sandwiching a 1-1 draw with Cardiff
(Arshavin again).
The Cardiff game saw top striker Kweuke get himself injured
for two months, and it was up to the other strikers to step up in his absence.
A 4-2 victory over Southampton
made it 4 wins from 5 , with Paolschi
stepping into Kweuke’s shoes and we were
now 6th and all talk of firing me was a distant memory.
The last two games of the calendar year saw us lose 2-0 to
Arsenal, then bounce back with a 2-0 win away at Everton (Paloschi and Johnson).
Now the transfer window was open and I could look to any
potential free transfers, and bargains.
Coming this summer: Bernardello
Assessing the team (and particularly my recent signings), mid season: Ruben was proving to be an
inspired signing. Developing quickly into a good premier league left back he
was getting plenty of games (far more
than I thought he’d get in his 1st season) at the expense of
Garrido.
Giving Ryan Bennett an opportunity was also paying off. All
his hard work with my coaches in training was paying off and he was really
developing into a great defender. We haven’t discussed training much, but I
always spend considerable time and effort on this area. Training can make such
a difference turning an average player to a good one, and a good to a great. I
spent the time ensuring I had the best coaches I could find, and regularly
checking in with them regarding training progress of each player, kicking up
the arse any who were not giving their all!
In the early days of FM you could just buy great players who would all want to come to you no matter what your standing. Now the game is so realistic, as a small club you have to use training to maximum advantage to develop every ounce of potential from promising youngsters.
Last Hurrah: In January 2014 David Beckham signs for Norwich
Arshavin had been a revelation, reveling in the AMC role and
creating and scoring numerous chances. I resolved to try and nab him on a free
when his contract expired at Arsenal at season’s end.
Colombian international goalie Ospina had proved another
free transfer bargain, easily Ruddy’s equal and at 25 still young enough to be improving
Andy Caroll was also inspired, filling my target man needs
to perfection, scoring his fair share but also creating opportunities with his
strength and heading ability. Poor Straqualursi was not getting much playing
time, but he had cost nothing and was proving a reliable squad player when
called upon to deputise for Carroll, and seemed happy in that role rather than demanding to start.
Nelson was proving to be the capable back up for Jonathan
that I had hoped, and for a free transfer I had no complaints.
Loan striker Paolschi had had few opportunities to shine
(especially given our early Carling Cup exit) but with Kweuke's injury he looked to be seizing his chance.
Loanee Lugano hadn’t worked out but all I’d lost were his
wages for a couple of months, and Remi Gomis though homesick and unhappy, at
least hadn’t cost a transfer fee.
Overall I was delighted with my summer acquisitions. Now it was the time to dive Redknapp like
into the transfer market again and wheel and deal and, especially, see who I
can pick up on a ‘contract expiring’ free. Those opportunites are essential to a
smaller club like ours.
The names who I picked up on expiring contracts were:
Vincent Aboubakar (striker) from Valenciennes , Lacina Traore (Striker) from Anji, and Argentine International Hernan
Bernardello (DM) from Almenia. All coming in on very low wages relative to
their ability) (Aboubakar and Bernandello both
£21,000 p/w, Traore £28,500). I looked forward to their summer arrival.
Future Star? Adelmilson
As is my philosophy I also snapped up a number of promising
youngsters whose contracts were expiring, who I will detail in my summer
transfer round up, when they arrive
For the January window, I offloaded the still homesick Remi
Gomis for a pitiful £230,000. I wanted him off the wage bill, he had come in
for free, and I added a 50% of next sale clause which I hope will mean I end up
getting a little more recompense for his English misadventure (update: he ran
down his contract and I got nothing more. Some you win…). Tettey was left holding the DM burden and performed well with high average ratings despite
limited ability
Out for 1 million to Crystal
Palace went past his peak Wes Hoolahan. In, on
loan with an option to buy was Jonathan Viera. I thought if he performed well,
he might be worth the £5million asking price as Arshavin clearly wasn’t a long
term answer.
I also indulged my weakness for allowing big names a final
hurrah, and signed rapidly aging David Beckham and Ronaldinho on frees! Beckham played very well, averaging over 7.0
and creating two assists but sadly got injured after 10 games, with the injury
putting him out for the season.
Ronaldinho I brought as Arshavin was not allowed to be used
in cup games, and I wanted cover for Viera in case he was injured. It was a
gamble as a 3rd round exit would have made him redundant but I
really hoped we would have a decent cup run
I overspent on a promising prospect, paying £1 million to
prise Luiz Frietag from Leverkusen, There are enough promising youngsters, contract expirers and transfer listed bargains for me not to be spending 7 figure sums on players who will take 4-5 years to be ready for first team football. I was to mae a similar mistake before wising up.
On the other hand I noticed one of my scouts gave his
highest possible recommendation to a young Brazilian U21 international with a
phenomenal goalscoring record at that level called Adelmilson. He was ready as a squad player now, and looked like he could become world class, so I was happy to
pay his 5 million contract release fee if I could get him on low wages and a
long term deal which I could (£16,000 p/w till 2018).
I was spending every penny of my transfer/wage budget but I
felt I was investing well and I still had an overall negative transfer spend
(ie I had earned more from player sales than I had spent. This stat remains
true even now (I am at end of 2014/2015 in the game and need to catch this blog
up..no spoilers here though!) and I’m very proud of it as I’m not aware of any
Prem manager who has done that. ).
Finally with Kweuke still unhappy, and having gone off the ball in is scoring, against my better judgement I gave him a vastly improved deal, moving him to £41,000 per week.
Next: The second half of the season, and can we finally mount a decent cup run....



No comments:
Post a Comment