Monday, 25 March 2013

Season Four: 2015-2016 Part One Aug-Dec


We started the season with 2 tough fixtures,  away at league champions Arsenal and at home to Man Utd. Against Arsenal I tried to be clever. Thinking the only way I might beat them is to utterly throw them by surprising them, I went with the least used of my 3 formations, the  4-3-1-2

We took the lead on two minutes through Straqualursi and were still in front on 34 minutes when Bernardello got a straight red. What is it about playing Arsenal and red cards? Needless to say things changed very quickly after that. They equalized 2 minutes later , and by the 65 minute mark they were 5-1 up. At which point Traore lost his cool completely and got himself sent off too. Final score 6-1.

Against Man Utd I stuck with the 4-3-1-2 and we played well against them, looking the better team for much of the match. Against a team of Utd’s quality, however, you have to play brilliantly for 90 minutes, and they broke our hearts by scoring the game’s only goal in the 87th minute.

Two losses from two games, and our next match, away to West Ham left us still searching for a win. Jacob Butterfield came back to haunt me, as the man I had sold scored the Hammers equalizer after Nasri had give us an early lead.

                                                     Samir Nasri made his mark on loan

I wasn’t sure if it was the formation, missing Carroll and Perisic or just low morale after a tough start, but I needed to sort things out quickly.

At home to newly promoted and struggling Leeds I reverted to our wonderful winged formation with Tadic and Boudebouz on the flanks. We recorded our first win. Doumbia and Kakuta got the goals as we came away with a not altogether convincing 2-0.

This year we were seeded in the 3rd (rather than 4th) pot for the Europa league, which meant a slightly easier group. Our first tie was away to lowly Thon and sticking with the same formation, we triumphed 2-0 (Aboubakar and Traore).

We were picking up confidence now and back in the league we vanquished Liverpool 3-1. Straqualursi bagged a brace and Kakuta got the 3rd before getting the serious injury that would put him out for months.


                                                                      

Next up were Burnley in the Carling cup and they were dispatched 5-1. Iwan Somei got two, as did Traore, with Jenssen getting the 5th.

The excellent run continued with us beating Southampton by the odd goal in 5.  3-2 the final score with Straquarlursi, Nasri and Aboubakar getting our goals.  Straqualursi was really seizing his moment to fill Carroll’s shoes and I did feel having a target man as one of our two strikers made a big difference. I had come close to signing a back-up for Straq in the summer, but no-one quite fitted the bill. This meant that sometimes I had to rest Straq, and to me we looked less convincing without a target man, so I resolved to bring one in in January.

After 5 wins and a draw from our last 6 we finally tasted defeat, and it was in the Europa league against group favourites CSKA Moscow. They triumphed 2-1 on our patch, with Daniel Ayala providing the consolation goal.

About this time Giorgio Chiellini, a centre and left back, who had been available on a free but had been injured, regained full fitness, and needless to say I signed him to add to my already large crop of defenders.

                                                        

I did decide to offset this by returning Somai from his loan. We weren’t playing with any central midfielders currently, so it made no sense to have a loan cm, in addition to those I already had.


Away to Cardiff we managed a 1-1 draw via Traore’s late penalty.

Perhaps overreacting to the last 2 results, I switched to a 4-1-3-2 and we returned to winning ways, beating Birmingham 2-1 at home (Howson and an og when a Strqualursi rocket bounced off the bar, hit butland on the backside and rolled in!)

(video)

Against Metalist I went to old favourite 4-1-2-1-2 and we crushed them 5-0 (Doumbia x2, Nasri, Aboubakar and Ayala).


                                                                    

I definitely had too many strikers but other than Adelmilson and Straq I couldn’t decide who should stay and who should go. So they were rotating which probably didn’t help any of them get a real run of form going.  Aboubakar had been agitating for more playing time but he’d just have to take his turn like everyone else.

In the forth round of the Capital One Cup we drew Arsenal away. Twice we came from a goal behind and forced extra time (Aboubakar and an og), and then when Bernardello gave us the lead in the first half of extra time I thought a shock was on the cards. Our bogey team came back with a goal in the 109th minute, however, and it came down to the lottery of a penalty shootout . It was Arsenal whose balls were lucky, if you’ll excuse the expression, and they left us heartbroken when Aboubakar and Jennsen missed their penalties.

                                       Seydou Doumbia: Rotating in a group of quality strikers

Sticking with 4-1-2-1-2 we couldn’t shake off the Arsenal result and lost 2-1 at home to West Brom, a highly unexpected and disappointing result.  Doumbia got our only goal.

There was also the ‘one that got away’. Ex Man City right back Maicon was playing in Brazil. His contract was expiring in December, so I offered him a contract from January. We agreed terms on a £21,000 a week contract but at the last second I baulked. I really admired his crossing and dribbling which were great for a right back, but having agonized and agonized, in the end I decided I should curb my enthusiasm for bargains and I cancelled the deal. I regret it as I feel he could have brought something extra to the squad and his wages would have been a bargain for a player of his quality, albeit one who was ageing. I did change my mind shortly afterwards, but he chose to sign a new deal with his current club and the opportunity was lost.

As we entered November our next European tie saw us face Metalist at home and we got back to winning ways with a 4-0 victory. Doumbia, Boudebouz,  Nasri and Aboubakar got the goals.

However our league form remained decidedly patchy and we were poor away to Tottenham losing 3-1 with Nasri getting the only goal.

A 2-1 home victory over Sunderland (Nasri and Traore) was undermined by a 2-0 loss to Stoke. We were resolutely mid table at this point, with virtually no chance of qualifying for Europe if we didn’t buck our ideas up.

After trying a radical formation change which yielded a nervy 2-0 win over Europa whipping boys Thon, I made more subtle changes and went with a 3-4-3 against Wigan which yielded a 3-0 win (Kelly, Adelmilson and Johnson), followed by a 2-0 win at QPR,  (Straqualursi and Doumbia). I then reverted to 4-1-2-1-2 and secured our 3rd successive win, 2-1 over Swansea (Adelmilson x2).


                                        Frank Lampard: providing solid back-up at 37           

This was more like it and December continued to be a triumph when we secured top spot in our Europa League group by winning 2-0 away at CSKA Moscow  (Ryan Bennett and Aboubakar).

More good news came when the board announced we were doing so well financially with the income from the Europa league, and my frugal spending, that they could increase my transfer budget by a further 10 million.

As Christmas approached we went away to Chelsea and a superb Straqualursi hat-trick gave us a 3-1 win.


                                                             

However our season for bad injuries continued when Jonny Howson suffered a broken leg, and looked likely to be out for the season.

This now left me with only 3 natural CMs, and now we had reverted to 4-1-2-1-2 this was a problem, especially as if Frank Lampard made another 5 league appearances, he’d trigger a one year contract extension which, given he was meant to be a back-up and was rapidly declining at 37 years old, was a big problem.

Our seventh successive victory was secured over Aston Villa with a Straquaursi goal, and we were now up to 6th.

Sadly, that was to be the end of the great run, however, as Wolves shocked us 1-0. This was followed by a more expected 2-0 loss to Man Utd, and with the year reaching an end, we were in 7th.



No comments:

Post a Comment