The January Transfer Window saw the usual arrival of players
from North and South America and Eastern
Europe, whose contracts expired in December.
Aiden McGeady the AMR arrived from Spartak Moscow on a free
and I was delighted to get an Irish International into the team!.
18 yr old Gil arrived from Sao Paolo as a left back, and was
almost ready for 1st team football on arrival. He was clearly a
youngster with real talent. I returned Santi Cataldo from loan as I no longer
needed him for left back cover.
Uilliam Felipe, a 20 year old goalie, arrived from Gremio
and again he went straight into the 1st team squad, as back-up to
the slightly disappointing Baumann.
Is Norwich big enough for two Irish Aidens?
Also from Sao Paolo came 18 year old Souza as a central
defender and again he wasn’t really one for the future, as he was almost 1st
team ready.
It really was a great crop of signings, as 20 year old
Darron Jevons joined as a centre back.
Already an established USA
international, to pick him up on a free was a real coup for us. Again, he was
ready to compete fro a place in the starting eleven.
These were not youngsters who might challenge for a place
years hence, these were quality players ready to challenge from their first day
at the club, with the advantage that at such a young age they were going to get
better and better over the next few years.
Finally I spent £2.5 million (plus possible add-ons) on
Oscar Cardozo. I know he’s 32 and I
wasn’t short of strikers, but I needed a second target man to go with
Straqualursi and I loved the fact that for a target man, he not only had the
strength and the heading and jumping, but also amazing finishing and composure.
I was prepared to take a chance on a player of proven quality, especially when
his wage demands were very reasonable for someone with his proven talent
(£27,750 p/w)
I decided Nasri was a luxury I couldn’t afford at loan wages of 63,000p.w plus £70,000 a month fee. Kakuta was still
some way away from match fitness, so having returned Nasri, I loaned the much
cheaper AMC Yoann Gourcuff from PSG.
Oscar Cardozo..can he make it in the Premier League?
I resolved my
issue with Frank Lampard’s contract by offering him a new one, giving him a
much larger wage till the end of the season, but removing the extension clause.
Additionally with Howson out for the
season, I brought in Luca Cigarini on loan from Porto as MC cover.
My final loan
signing was Frank Ribery. Dusan Tadic
had been consistently underperforming and Rybus didn’t really have the quality
to challenge him for a strating place, so I sold Rybus to Stke for 1.5 million
and loaned Ribery from Bayern.
With two more
quality DCs arriving, I decided someone needed to go. I wanted to keep Bennett
and Ayala for their Home grown status and looking at the team, it seemed to me
Bassong was the best candidate. His knee
tendonitis had really affected him and my coaches were all saying they didn’t
think he’d get back to the player he had been, and certainly not in the
short-medium term. So I put him on the market, and Toulouse offered me £7 million which I felt was a
good price for the player he now was, and so he left. It can be a harsh and
unsentimental game (football, not FM). I was really sad to see him go as he had
been a great servant to the club and I will always remember him fondly, but
nothing lasts forever and I am paid to make the tough decisions that I believe
will benefit the football club. Thanks Sebastian, I’ll miss you…
I also ended the
loans of Bruma and Alex, leaving the number of DCs at a more sensible level.
As for contract
expiring summer transfers, I was more restrained this time. Having been
updating this blog I had noticed how many players were coming in, and I resolved
to be much more selective going forward .
Bargain Basement Nasri? Yoann Gourcuff my new, much cheaper loan AMC
Highlights were:
Fabio, a quality
goalie from Cruzerio. I signed a pre-contract deal with him on the basis that I
would sell Baumann who had never quite convinced me. Fabio, though 35, clearly
had a couple of good seasons left in him by which time one of my several
promising goalies would be ready to take over. He also was very sensible in his
wage requests.
Gokhan Tore, a
fantastic young winger to challenge Tadic and/or McGeady next season. He came
in from Rubin, but as a youngster had spent 3 years with Chelsea.
Kamohelo
Mokohtjo, a super deep lying playmaker who plays in the DMC slot, was poached
from Feyenoord. I was delighted to get
him, beating off competition from some big clubs. Our improved stature
following our European success was really attracting some quality players
now. At just 25, he can have his very
best years here at Norwich .
Leroy Fer, an MC
to replace Lampard, from FC Twente.
These were my
big-name signings. I’ll cover all signings comprehensively in the summer
review.
For now it was
back to our mission to try and qualify for Europe again next season.



No comments:
Post a Comment