Starting the season with my trusty 4-1-2-1-2, our first
trophy opportunity came in our very first game.
Our FA Cup win meant we got to play in the Community Shield
against the mighty Man City .
It was always going to be a huge ask against a team of their resources and
ability, but any hopes of an upset that we may have had were dashed when Simao
got himself sent off on his debut. After
being booked I instructed him to go easy, but he didn’t and a red card was the
result. I gave him a warning after the match, as he had let his teammates down.
The league season proper started with a 2-1 win at home to
Tottenham, Perisic (on his league debut) and Howson got the goals. As per last season an encouraging start was
then undermined immediately, this time by a 1-0 loss at Southampton .
Back to back 1-0 wins over West Ham and Stoke saw Traore and
Carroll open their accounts for the season and gave the team some confidence and momentum.
Then it was August 31st and I had to register the squads for the Premier League and Europa League and of course my bloated
squad size meant many good players couldn’t fit into the League squad and had
to make do with the Europa league instead.
We then made our Europa League debut with a spirited 3-2
loss at Udinese. Kweuke got his first of the season and Carroll got the other.
Meanwhile my hopes of giving fringe players a run out in a Carling
Cup run went for a burton when, despite a fine Andy Carroll goal we went out
2-1 to West Ham at the very first hurdle.
Our 3rd successive loss came this time in the
league, 1-0 to West Brom .
As October dawned winning ways were restored with a 1-0 victory
over LOSC in the Europa League. Carroll grabbing the only goal of the game.
We were proving to be consistently inconsistent. An
excellent 3-1 win over Chelsea (2
from Traore and 1 for Jon Viera)
followed by a 1-0 loss atSunderland
which saw Simao sent off again. I fined him 2 weeks wages which led to a
blazing row from which I would not back down. If I tell a player to ease off
and they continue to go diving in, they will not get very far in this football
club. I consigned him to the reserves with a view to loaning or selling him.
followed by a 1-0 loss at
Jonny Howson: There from day one and still doing well for us
Straqualursi, Howson and the rapidly progressing Gael Kakuta
scored for us in a 3-1 home win over Metalist and then back in the league
Carroll’s goal was in vain as we lost 2-1 to Arsenal, before bouncing back with
a 2-0 win at Cardiff (Perisic and
Viera)
November started with a 1-0 loss to man City and found us
resolutely mid table. At that point, I felt teams were very used to our
wingless approach, and I felt that with players like Carroll and Straq in the
team I should be maximizing the crosses we put into the box, and so I moved to
a 4-1 (DM)- 3 (AML, AMC, AMR) - 2, with (gasp) wingers!
I trialled it in the Europa League against Metalist and on
their patch we thrashed them 5-2. Howson
got a brace, with Straqualursi, Perisic
and Kweuke getting the others. I decided it was worth running with this
formation to see if it was a one-off or had legs.
Perisic was in fine form which was a good thing as Arshavin
had clearly had an Indian summer last season and was in rapid decline.
Nonetheless he could play right wing, as could Kakuta or even Perisic, so it
did mean the winged formation was a
credible option for us.
Next game up we came away with a 1-1 draw at Liverpool ,
with Perisic grabbing our goal.
Next came a 2-1 away win at Bolton
(Carroll and Howson). This made it 3 unbeaten with the new formation.
We then fooled Swansea
by reverting to 4-1-2-1-2 and thrashed them 5-1. Lacina Traore showed his class
with a hat-trick, and Perisic and Jenssen grabbed the others.
Meanwhile, as could have been predicted, 2 of my stikers
were unhappy with a lack of playing time. Aboubakar politely asked to go on
loan, and I offered him (but had no takers). Adelmilson threatened to leave
without 1st team football, and when I pointed out he hadn’t set the
world on fire when I’d given him a go, he demanded a transfer. I accepted this,
but set his asking price very high as I had resolved in my mind that he was a
‘keeper’. I had decided I would be selling at least one striker in the Jan
transfer window and was almost certain who it would be.
Ryan Bennett: Developing into a fine defender on very fair wages
Back in the league, I decided to stick with 4-1-2-1-2 after
the Swansea success, as it was
easier to accommodate most of my key players. This led to a 1-1 draw with Blackpool
(Howson), a 3-1 loss at Wolves (Carroll) before I woke up and smelt the
Coffee.
Back to the winged formation but it was no magic bullet as Udinese beat us 3-0 at home. However we certainly
created more chances with 4-2-4
and I made a decision that I would stick with it and give it a chance over a
good run of games.
Heading to Loftus Road
we beat QPR 4-1 (Carroll got a brace, Kweuke got one and Arshavin the other).
A 0-0 draw with Villa was followed by a meaningless Europa
League tie as we had already qualified.
Giving numerous fringe players a run out, we lost 4-2 at
LOSC with Paloschi and Ryan Bennett grabbing the goals.
A 3-0 loss away to Man Utd took us to Christmas-time, and
then our last two games of the year saw us manage back to back wins..2-1 at Tottenham
(Carroll x 2) and 2-1 at home to Newcastle
(Perisic x 2). In those victories I took
a more attacking approach within the 4-2-4
and the results, and performance, boded well for the future. Although we were 9th,
I really felt this formation had plenty of goals in it, and I hoped that giving
them more of an attacking brief could send us on a run that might see us
pushing for (whisper it) a European place.



No comments:
Post a Comment