It was time for the big kick off.
The season started at home to Man
City and we scored a huge upset
with a 3-2 win. Andy Caroll scored 2, and Kweuke got the 3rd, and
though City played the last quarter of
the match with ten men, it was still a huge confidence boost, and really
augured well for a fantastic season.
A mood that lasted all of one week, till our next match, a dispiriting 3-1
(Howson) loss at Newcastle .
Newcastle seemed a winnable game to me and I really felt the team i put out could have done more.
We overcame Championship Birmingham in the first round of
the League cup, 2-1 after extra time (Howson and Kweuke) but it was hardly
convincing.
I was sticking with my 4-3-1-2 which had helped me at the end of the season and perhaps other teams were getting used to it.
Two draws in highly winnable games against Blackburn
(Carroll) and Wolves (Kweuke) left me feeling things weren’t quite gelling, and
this was only exacerbated by a 1-0 loss to West Ham.
Meanwhile the board were continuing to prove very hard nosed. They continually opposed my requests to expand the stadium to help us get more revenue than our current pitiful 27,000 capacity allowed, and were to prove equally recalcitrant when dealing with requests around wage/transfer budgets despite the excellent financial discipline I had shown.
At this time, I found Man Utd had offloaded Joshua King on a
free transfer and felt he was worth a punt, showing only that I had learned little from
the Bebe debacle!
The Capital Cup brought some respite with a 2-0 victory over
Leicester (og, and Butterfield) and there were other positives. Arshavin was surpassing all my
expectations, being consistently excellent, setting up countless opportunities
and keeping Hoolahan on the bench.
Meanwhile Kweuke decided to pick this moment to demand a big contract increase. I felt his excellent form warranted some sort of improved deal, but his agent wanted his contract tripled. We could not reach agreement.
A 2-0 victory at home to Stoke (Arshavin and Caroll) made me
wonder if I had turned the corner but though October started with a creditable
2-2 draw at Chelsea, it was followed by losses to Spurs (2-0) and Man Utd (4-1
Howson) and when we went out of
the League Cup to Spurs (2-0 again) things didn’t look so great.
Homeward Bound: Lugano's loan didn't work out
Seb Bassong continued to be consistently excellent, averaging over 7.6 as an average rating, andbeing a great leader and a defensive rock. When other teams started sniffing around I loosened the purse strings and moved him to a £41,000 p/w contract. High for us, but still very low by premiership standards.
In the transfer market we picked up Ashley Smith-Brown on a
free transfer. Cast off by Man City
I thought he had the potential to be a decent premier League defender, and was
worth developing if only to sell on.
As November started we were 16th , bottom of a
large group of teams within 2 points of each other. One victory could have
taken us top 10, but suddenly the board,
and the media were saying my job was at risk. This seemed ridiculous to me, so
early in the season. The board had asked for a mid-table finish and it was way
too early to doubt it. However one newspaper report said a loss to Liverpool
would seal my fate. Oh the madness of modern football.
I changed the formation around to a variant on 4-1-3-2 (I had no wide men so my options were relatively limited) and we came out with a critical 2-1
victory over Liverpool (Stracqualursi and Kweuke) and
when we went 2-0 up against Sunderland in our next
match, I thought I’d cracked it. Sunderland, however, mounted a
soul-destroying comeback, and snatched
it 3-2 in stoppage time (Carroll and Howson) and I was, literally, in tears at throwing away such a lead (football's an emotional game!) The Liverpool
3 points had moved us up several places and apparently bought me a little time.
About this time Remi Gomis started complaining of being
unsettled and homesick so I gave him a leave of absence to get his head
together. I also felt that Lugano wasn’t really gelling with the rest of the
team, his body language was all wrong in some of the matches,and he wasn’t justifying
his huge wages, so I terminated his loan and determined to use Ayala and
Bennett giving them the maximum opportunities to develop by exposing them to first team football whilst they were young enough to make big improvements quickly..
We beat our favourite whipping boys Swansea 2-0
(Kweuke and Johnson..view the goals by clicking the play symbol above) and then again conspired to throw away a lead, allowing Aston Villa to come back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 (Johnson and Jensen) with a 93rd minute equaliser from Bent breaking our hearts. Still it was a good away point and as November started we were steadily moving up the table and were now 9th.
(Kweuke and Johnson..view the goals by clicking the play symbol above) and then again conspired to throw away a lead, allowing Aston Villa to come back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 (Johnson and Jensen) with a 93rd minute equaliser from Bent breaking our hearts. Still it was a good away point and as November started we were steadily moving up the table and were now 9th.



No comments:
Post a Comment