However a win continued to elude us. We gained 3 consecutive 1-1 draws (against Everton,
Yussuf: Became a 1st team regular when Tettey got a serious injury
At this stage I still wasn’t sure what kind of season it
would be. We had only won once (and that against lower league opposition), and we really needed
to turn some of our recent draws into wins.
Finally, away to Wigan on 29th
Sept, we secured our first victory, 2-1. Kweuke, of course, and Bradley Johnson
providing the goals. (You can see them HERE ).
I was playing a 4-1-2-1-2 as my first choice with Ruddy in
goal, Garrido, Bassong, Turner and Stalteri
along the back, Tettey (or Yussuf once Tettey quickly picked up a 3 month injury) as
dm/anchor and 2 of Jenssen, Johnson and Howson in midfield. The attacking midfielder was Wes Hoolahan and
upfront Kweuke and a target man, Holt and Sidibe both battling to make the
starting place their own.
We were lower mid table but not mired in the relegation places, with 7 points from 6 games, and only one loss (but only one win!).
October saw us picking up points
against bottom ten teams, and getting nothing from top ten teams. We got a
point at Southampton, and beat relegation bound West Brom 2-1 (Kweuke and Sidibe). We
then lost to Tottenham and November started with us crashing 2-4 at Man
City (Sidibe and Jonson)
Struggling QPR couldn’t match us with Bassong and Howson
grabbing the goals in our 2-1 win and a nice little run continued with a 1-1
draw at Sunderland (Jenssen), followed by back to back victories at Swansea
(4-0) Here and Reading (2-0). The six goals
being scored by Sidibe (3), Kweuke, Morrison and Bassong . Sidibe really was having an Indian summer to
his career and he and Kweuke were working well.
Hleb: Shock return to Premier league with Norwich City
This was proving to be our best run of the season with
3 wins in 4 but things turned somewhat sour in December.
West Ham shocked us 1-0 and while draws with Liverpool
(0-0) and Arsenal (2-2) Kweuke getting
both) were creditable they were sandwiched with a 2-0 loss at Fulham where we
were abject.
I had no real cover for Hoolahan and so spotting that
Alexander Hleb's contract was winding down, I brought him in on a free mid-December
to provide much needed competition.
We were a thin squad anyway, and it was no surprise
that Tettey and Whittaker picked up fresh
injuries just days after returning from their previous ones, as I couldn’t ease them
back as gently as I wanted due to the fixture congestion. Squad players such as Jacob Butterfield, Ryan
Bennet and Marc Tierney came in and did well. Tierney scoring excellent average
ratings that enabled me to kick an under-performing Garrido up the arse, and
Bennett showing real potential.
Still with our thin squad hopelessly stretched, and me struggling to get 11 fully fit players onto the pitch, never mind subs, the poor run continued with a 1-0 loss
at Villa and a 3-1 (Holt) loss at Man Utd. As the January transfer window dawned it was a crucial time. I had to ensure the recent bad form did not send us into a downward spiral, and I had to somehow strengthen the squad, with the very limited resources I had at my disposal.
Next time: Shock results, shock transfers and more


No comments:
Post a Comment