Given the next match was against Chelsea, I still had limited expectations. I changed up the formation to a 4-3-1-2 dropping the DM for an extra CM, in case teams were getting wise to our tactics, and to my joy we took a precious 3 points at home with a 3-2 victory with a brace from Kweuke and a header from Ryan Bennett seeing us home.
Then disaster struck, as Kweuke got himself injured for 4
weeks (though we’d have lost him to the African Nations anyway). A kind FA cup
tie away to Championship Blackburn in theory allowed me some respite, so I rested some players, but we
were dreadful and lost 1-0 to a late goal, annoying the board. However a second consecutive league victory
2-1 (away to Newcastle : Sidibe and Holt) eased the pressure and kept us
comfortably mid-table exceeding the boards expectations in that area at least.
In on loan: Inter's right back Jonathan
My scouts had been out and about working hard and having
carefully looked at all the reports I signed a few players on
pre-contracts (if you’re not a footy fan this means they would join us when
their contract expired in June). Acquired in this way, all on very sensible wages, were target man Denis
Stracqualursi (long term Holt replacement), goalie David Ospina, and right back Nelson and I felt they would all help us next season.
My 4-1-2-1-2 was working well, and I mixed it up with 4-3-1-2, 4-1-3-2 and 4-2-2-2 so I finally felt safe to shed my last wide players.
Snodgrass and Pilkington joined Championship teams reflecting my view of them
(in the game not real life I hasten to add) for a total of 4 million plus add-on clauses.
Surman joined Reading for 1.3
million, and Chris Martin, whose contract was winding down, joined Derby
on a free getting his wages off the bill.
Trying to solve the problem right back position I loaned
Brazilian Jonathan from Inter. He played brilliantly on his debut before
getting injured in the second half putting him out for 6 weeks. Oh well, back to Stalteri!
Portugese U21 International Bebe joined on a free
Back in the league our consistently inconsistent form
continued with a 1-1 draw at Everton (Morison getting some game time with Kweuke injured),
a 1-0 loss at Stoke and then a 4-2 victory at Southampton (Hleb and a Grant
Holt hattrick).
As the transfer window closed I brought in Sully Muntari on
loan. In retrospect I think this was a mistake as the loan fee and wages were
high, and centre midfield was an area we were strong in. On deadline day
another I picked up Portugese U21 international Bebe on a free. I
couldn’t quite accept someone Man Utd had brought in could be useless, so I thought
I would give him a shot.
With no cup games, and the transfer window shut, it was just
league games between now and seasons end. The team took a well deserved
rollocking after losing 1-0 at home to Wigan and so it
was with enormous relief that I welcomed Kweuke back into the fold for our next
match, at home to Manchester City .
Sulley Muntari came in on loan but didn't make much impact
Whether it was the rollocking or Kweuke’s return, I don’t
know but we were a team on fire. We beat City 2-0 and we deserved it. Kweuke,
of course, scored on his return and Howson got the other. You can view the goals here.
Draws at West Brom (1-1
Holt) and QPR (2-2 Hleb + og)
followed by a 2-1 victory at Sunderland (Kweuke and Jonathan, excellent on his
return from injury) continued the mini run and barring a miracle I knew we
would achieve our base-line goal of avoiding relegation.
About this time I became aware of a clause in Michael Turner's contract meaning I would have to pay 500K to Sunderland if he played 5 more games for us, and so I used him sparingly.
I didn't see him in my long term plans and felt I'd rather keep the 500k for other players. This gave Ryan Bennett a chance to continue his excellent development.
Losses to Tottenham (2-1
Kweuke) and Liverpool (3-0) were at least
understandable, but after we then contrived to throw away a 2-1 lead against Reading to lose 3-2 (Kweuke x 2), I held them back in the dressing room
afterwards and didn’t mince my words.
I called another team meeting the next morning and it
cleared the air. Everyone agreed a 4th loss would be unacceptable.
Our final 4 games saw us perform our usual Jekyll and hide
act with losses to Fulham (3-5 (Hoolahan
2, & Bennett..who was developing very well) and Arsenal (3-0) sandwiched around
wins against West Ham (2-0 Garrido and Jenssen) and Villa 3-1 (Kweuke, Holt and Butterfield). View the goals here
To my delight we finished 10th, exactly mid-table
(and 2 places higher than Paul Lambert achieved the previous year). W
13 D 11
L 14
Kweuke was selected as the Premier league buy of the season with a record of:
Played 31 Goals
17 Assists 4
Rating 7.38
Now I could begin to play the transfer market and try to
push on for season 13-14.



No comments:
Post a Comment